Sunday, December 1, 2013

Holiday Specials Review: Lady Gaga and the Muppets Holiday Spectacular


Awkward.  That is how I would best describe the Lady Gaga and the Muppets Holiday Spectacular.  The hour and a half holiday special was mostly Lady Gaga promoting her new album, while the Muppets tried to help fill in some of the gaps for time.  The whole thing just felt very incoherent.  Kristen Bell was the only non musical special guest, who was just hanging out back stage for some reason.  The duet with Elton John was very touching.  Despite the fact that I personally think the duet should have been a holiday song or one off her album, it was one of the more down to earth moments.  The duet with Joseph Gordon-Levitt left me a little confused.  They sang Baby It's Cold Outside perfectly, until she had a small flub.  I don't believe any of the performances were live, which is why I can't understand why they left it in.  I think the theme was suppose to be a throw back to old variety shows and The Muppet Show, but with no live audience and no real skits it was more of a musical show case.

I know I am downing on this special, but the concept done right could have been so much better.  I get that ABC (aka Disney) probably wants to be careful with the Muppets and any adult setting, but playing it safe doesn't always work.  The Muppet Show back in the day walked a fine line and did it well.  They should have used the late time slot to their advantage and made the special for an older crowd.  After all, your main star is Lady Gaga.  They should have had a few more guests, less Artpop songs (2 max), more holiday-esque music, and actual skits.  Did you see Lady Gaga on SNL?  She can hold her own on a variety/improv show.  Maybe she will try again next year and won't have an album's promotion that will get in the way.

I don't hate you Lady Gaga, I just know you are capable of awesomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment